Saturday 26 June 2010

Harry O


I do love TV detective shows and there have been lots that I have really enjoyed over the years. However, if I had to choose just one, then Harry O wins my vote every time. Yes, it's my all time favourite TV detective series and Harry O's my favourite TV detective character.

I'll be honest and admit it probably wasn't the best series, Inspector Morse probably gets that accolade but Harry O's my choice.

Do you remember him? He was an unusual TV detective, not your Magnum PI or the flash Crockett & Tubbs. No, he was more like the British TV detectives, flawed and vulnerable but with w wry, sardonic sense of humour. Here's what Ed Robertson, TV Historian and author had to say about him:.

"Harry Orwell ... wasn’t like most private eyes. He owned a car, but rode the bus because his car was often “sick.” He couldn’t run well because of a bullet lodged in his back from his days on the San Diego police force. He really didn’t have to work: while his disability pension didn’t make him rich, it afforded him a life of simple pleasures. Though he didn’t work for free, he didn’t always work for money: he once let a client pay off his fee by working on his boat,
The Answer. He could also afford to work “on the house” occasionally, if he truly believed in a client, or if he somehow felt he had let the client down. Jim Rockford would never do that."

I feel it's a shame that Warner Brothers has never released this series on DVD despite the fact there has been lots of scam websites selling poor copies or just taking the money and sending nothing. I have to keep watching little bits on YouTube. So I set up a petition to Warner Brothers to ask them to release it.

Take a look and if you could, make my day and please sign it. Maybe then I'd get to see Harry O again properly instead of having to watch bits and bobs on YouTube. You could enjoy it too!

Post No 157

1 comment:

  1. I can't for the life of me remember this TV show. Must have been something else on at the same time that I liked better. LOL Have a great Sat. evening and Sunday.

    ReplyDelete